Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Valentine's Day

Growing up Valentine's day was always celebrated with the red See's Candy hearts from my parents and usually a yummy dinner & dessert. And of course the years of making Valentine's for classmates and more recently, students and enjoying classroom parties of conversation hearts and sugar cookies.  
Throughout dating and early marriage years, it would mean a nice dinner out or maybe at home and some flowers or chocolate.  Now that we have children, Valentine's day seems to hold a bit of a different significance.  It is a special reminder of the wonderful gifts of love that God blesses us with.  Not only did he send his Son as the greatest gift of love, but he provides us with tangible reminders of His rich, redeeming, forgiving, and endless love.  When I look at Clara and Maggie, I am in awe of the life that God has entrusted to me and Matt. I am humbled (and at times, overwhelmed!) by the task that is before us, to love, guide, and teach them as they grow.  I am encouraged by the parents that have gone before me and am thankful for those that surround me  and provide me with a knowing "I've been there" nod when I have my "am I crazy?!" moments. I am thankful that we have a day to really celebrate love...the love of a husband, a child, a mom, a dad, a brother, a sister, a grandma, a grandpa, a friend.  And although we are thankful for these each day, it is nice to pause and have time to enjoy these gifts that God has granted us.
   


Clara at our Valentine's breakfast tea party.  She decided pearls were a must! 

Maggie just loves her "da-da".  She was pretty proud of herself standing up next to him for a while. Her "love U" sweater and red jeggings were perfect for Valentine's (thanks, Auntie!).  

 She makes the best faces!

 I love the Cheerio stage!  She started eating them a week or two ago and I just love the progression of coordination and fine motor skills that follows.  Plus, it keeps her entertained while I fix dinner!

Such determination required to get it out of her own grip!

So thankful for the loving husband and dad Matt is. What a blessing! 
(Clara moved from pearls to her princess attire!)


No comments:

Post a Comment