Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Sisters


Yesterday Maggie had her 9 month check-up, so the three of us headed to the doctor's office in the morning.  I was armed with a coloring book, pen, kindle, fruit snacks...all the essentials really, to keep Clara occupied, if necessary.  The appointment went quickly and Maggie checked out just fine.  The doctor did want her to go to the lab for a routine 9 month finger prick to test for anemia. So we gathered our things and headed across the hall to take care of that.  While we sat in the waiting room, I prepped Clara, telling her we wouldn't be in our own room, just one with many chairs, and that she would need to stay right by me. When we got back there the nurses couldn't get the little tube filled properly but kept trying.  After about 5 minutes of this, Maggie was not a happy camper, I was trying to keep her restrained and Clara stood right next to the chair watching the whole ordeal. Well, Clara saved the day by starting a game of peek-a-boo with Maggie, the perfect distraction!  I felt my eyes start to well up, it was so sweet, so natural, and completely unsolicited.  I was so proud to be her mom and felt as though I witnessed a maturity that I hadn't seen before.  It was precious.

Unfortunately the finger-prick didn't work, so they had to go for the heel.  We were taken to the "baby room" for that & Clara was equally as helpful and caring there.  She was comforting and encouraging a crying Maggie after the nurse had pricked her saying, "It's ok Maggie", "you're doing great", "hang in there sweet girl." Be still my heart.

I pray that this instance of sisterly love, encouragement, and support would be the beginning of an enduring bond of friendship.

1 comment:

  1. What a day! Clara's concern and love for Maggie is a testimony to the love and care you give daily as their mother....love this story.

    ReplyDelete