Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Multnomah Falls


Last Thursday we had the tile installed in the downstairs bath, so it was a great excuse to take the girls on an adventure! I figured it would be easier for the "tile guy" (as Clara was fondly referring to him) to work without Clara breathing down his neck or constantly trying to strike up a conversation with him....although she would have been happy to stick around! So we packed a lunch and an abundance of other "necessities" and hit the road.  It was a cloudy, but beautiful day to drive along the Columbia River to Multnomah Falls.  We arrived at the falls and walked up the steps to get a good glimpse of the rushing water.  Although we have been there many times, it is always a breathtaking view!  And because it was a weekday we weren't battling the tourist crowds that can sometimes take away from the majestic view!


After we stood at the base for a couple minutes we began the .2 mile walk up to the viewing bridge.  Clara has not done much hiking, but was definitely excited about this adventure.  Of course, she wanted to stop at each bench along the way to rest.  We got about 2/3 of the way up and she (of course!) announced she needed to go to the bathroom.  As we walked down I was kicking myself for not taking her before! I figured our chances of getting all the way back up to the viewing bridge were slim.


After the bathroom stop, we grabbed our lunch from the car and found a bench to sit out.  Maggie was strapped onto my back in the carrier and had been a trooper so far. I got her out and we enjoyed lunch together.  Clara's enthusiasm about hiking increase having had something to eat and she was determined to head back up!



As we started up a second time, she was walking in front of me and really proud of herself for not having to hold my hand (except when the occasional dog came by).  It was a delight to see her smile and to hear her say (multiple times!) "Mom, I love hiking!". When we arrived at the viewing platform, it was very misty and windy, but so beautiful!  We stayed up there for a few minutes and took some quick photos, of course, then trekked back down.


Maggie, who is on my back, didn't make it in this picture!
It was all I could do to bend down and not topple over to snap a quick one of Clara and me! 
What a trooper! I had to get photographic evidence
that she was along for the ride!

On the drive home the girls slept and I gave thanks for them, the beautiful place we live and the chance to do something out of the ordinary!






1 comment:

  1. GO ANNE!! I love this, so reflective of the spirit in you that attracts so many of us your way. You love adventure, are flexible, and seek the make the best out of an inconvenience. I want to join you next time!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete